Tuesday, April 17, 2012

DIY-Jewelry

One of the most reasonable ways to save money in many areas whether it be clothing, jewelry, household project, cards, invitations you name it is to DIY- Do It Yourself.  DIY projects are not only cost effective, they can be a lot of fun and a way for you to express your creative through art! 


I am going to be publishing a few posts in the coming weeks on some of my DIY projects.  This one is focused around my jewelry. 


Back in 2009, a co worker of mine taught me how to start making necklaces.  I liked it so much and loved to go shop for different beads and colors and put different ideas together.  That winter I made every single one of my friends and family either a necklace, bracelet, anklet and even a watch!  I was so impressed with all of the different styles of beads out there and the fact that I could give a gift that was not only reasonable for my wallet, but it was thoughtful and home made.  After i gave out all my gifts, I started to get requests for different items and I was lucky enough to have my same teacher show me how to do earrings (thanks Di).  So I started to take orders and even made my own little side company out of it 'Jems by JoAnne'.  With the help of many supportive friends and family, I even hosted my own little jewelry show and sold many of my pieces i created.  I also have worn and designed many pieces for myself. 


Often times, you can find great coupons on beads, wire and the findings that go along with jewelry making.  Michaels, which is my favorite place to get my supplies, often runs a 50% off deal on their sterling silver products which is usually when i stock up.  You can also watch for many of their beads and pendants to go on sale and get them for reasonable as well. 
The web also has some great sites to get jewelry in larger supply for good deals.  I have found many great items at Jewlerysupply.com including Swarovski Crystal pieces for reasonable!  Its def worth checking out.

Things have been kinda busy lately for me so I haven't been making as much as I'd like, but I will definitely be getting back into it soon because I found some great new beads on clearance at Michaels:)


So if you are a creative person, take a chance on creating some of your own jewelry for yourself or others!  Its a fun project and its a great way to express your style.


And check out my facebook page for 'Jems by JoAnne'

No comments:

Post a Comment